EIO-LCA Web Forum

A support and discussion resource for users of the website
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:23 am 

Hi

I am currently studying on Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) of Autoclaved Aerated Concrete (AAC) as my master thesis. I have completed Raw Material Extraction, transportation of raw mtl to the facility and manufacturing phases of the material by using literature review.
Rght now I am in construction phase of AAC. While googling I found EIOLCA.

1-First question of mine is about methodology. If I use EIOLCA in construction phase of AAC, do you think will there be an inconsistency since I didn't use it in previous (mentioned) phases?

2-If no, how can I use the model? I need embodied energy and emission data during construction of AAC. I have chosen industry type as construction, house type as residential (single-multiple family), amount of economic activity cannot be less than 1 million (mine will be around max 250, 000 dollars).

Please correct me if I am wrong. Does ''amount of economic activity'' mean ''costs of activities'' in my case construction cost?

Or do you have any idea how I can utilize EIOLCA in my case study?

Regards

Didem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Didem:

Welcome and thanks for your question. First off, note that input-output models, specifically input-output LCA models, are often problematic for construction activities. For the specific US 2002 model on our website, which otherwise has excellent data, the construction sectors inconsistently have detail about what upstream impacts are needed. IN short, I rarely recommend using EIO-LCA for anything related to construction.

For specific construction MATERIALS, though, it can be of some better value.
You could likely use EIO-LCA to help your AAC model.

Its not clear from your post what you are actually modelling - AAC or construction using AAC. If you clarify that I can help better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:52 am 

Hi again and thanks for your interest on my topic.

I searched LCA of AAC in general but I have been using EIO LCA model to model construction phase of AAC house.

My research topic is life cycle assessment of autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC) during raw material extraction, transportation of raw materials to AAC production facility, its manufacturing, construction and use phases. In brief, it is cradle to grave. I tried different softwares to model raw material extraction and manufacturing phases of AAC such as GaBi software but it didnt work very properly. So I searched literature to find data for each phase. I found sufficient data until its construction phase.

In construction phase of AAC house I needed to define type and size of the house to find the cost of the construction. There is no specific data to AAC thus I used an average cost of a residential house with 1600 square foot. It costs an average of 150,000 dollars to construct defined house. I used EIO LCA tool by choosing construction sector with residential permanent site single or multi family type house, 0.15 million dollars economical value. I need to interpret greenhouse gas and energy data. I found them but I dont know how to interpret them. Do I just take into consideration of "230201- Residential permanent site single- and multi-family structures" row? Other sectors such as "327310 Cement manufacturing and 211000 Oil and gas extraction" are not related in my case right?

Thanks again

Didem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Didem - sorry that I lost track of your reply - for some reason I did not get an automatically generated e-mail telling me you had posted.

The sectoral results you mention are from the direct and/or total requirements needed for construction. However construction activities in the US IO model currently provided by the US government are very aggregate - they include many construction activities. I would not simply delete these values though because you do not know what they should be replaced with.

Have you tried using one of the two available hybrid models?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:30 pm 

Hi again

No I havent used the hybrid models. Can you show me how to use them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:42 am 

dergin,

That's a whole lesson in itself. Do you have no experience with the hybrids whatsoever? I have been doing a pretty large scale research project on the life cycle of molecules in different types of structural foam so it could be helpful to see what somebody else thinks about the hybrids. Thanks in advance for any information.