EIO-LCA Web Forum

A support and discussion resource for users of the website
It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:45 am 

Why aren’t disposal activities included in the aggregate activity of an economic sector? Is it because upon purchase the product changes sectors and the waste sector activity is then associated with something other than the production sector? Say then I were to follow the economic activity of the Waste management sector, don’t many of the sectors with the most economic activity (besides sectors like Truck transportation) correspond to those that produce the most waste? This implies that the EIO activity of a given sector includes all associated activity in the Waste management sector, including the disposal phase. I know that the model claims not to include end-of-life impact, but it seems clear to me that it does. Can someone please enlighten me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:19 am 

Good question, Al. Complicated one, but good one.
Any sector in the model purchases some from the waste management sector. These purchases represent the tipping fees that the sector itself has to pay to dispose of its waste. For the most part, then, households putting things into landfills are not going to be included.
A few things are complicated though, such as if the sector does any extended producer responsibility type applications or uses a product-service system type arrangement, whereby customers usuallly lease goods instead of purchase them. If this is true the model should include the sector remanufacturing/recycling its own goods. similar if the sector does product takeback, then part of hte purchases from waste management will be due to them disposing of products which were taken back.
hope this helps.

Post subject: IT End Of Life Disposal
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:36 am 

I am confused regarding the model purchases some from the waste management sector. What benefit does they have in purchasing that one. well, I am looking for some views and discussions regarding IT End Of Life Disposal. Please do share some views.

===========
IT End Of Life Disposal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:33 am 
Site Admin

Ethan - good question.

The boundaries of the IO models here are either at the factory gate (in the case of the producer models) or the customer buying the good (eg at a retail store, as in the purchaser model).

Thus any waste management purchased is in the supply chain, e.g., if the manufacturer sends waste to a landfill, or the retailer does.

There is no connection between the consumer and the waste management service in the model.

Hope this helps.