EIO-LCA Web Forum

A support and discussion resource for users of the website
It is currently Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:29 am 

I am helping conduct a GHG inventory for an organization that reports to the climate registry. The registry requires all its members to use the 2nd IPCC assessment report values. I was wondering if the Carnegie Mellon I/O tool is currently using the 2nd IPCC report values or the most up to date 4th values to calculate Carbon Dioxide ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for your e-mail. Suddenly this week a flurry of notes all that get to "something thats not obvious on the website".

The easy answer is we're using the SAR (second IPCC assessment report) values (methane = 21, ...). Mostly we're doing this because that's what EPA continues to use in their official annual inventories, I believe as required by IPCC to maintain a consistent set of values. Any of these of course can be easily re-weighted to the latest values (eg by multiplying by 24/21 for methane).

But again, point taken that this can be much more obvious on the website.
I note that this is already in the dialog box that comes up with the column headers for the GWP results - is there a better place we could add the info to make it more clear?

If you have better ideas (or additional suggestions) of where to put it, please let us know!