EIO-LCA Web Forum

A support and discussion resource for users of the website
It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:52 pm 

Hi I've a question about how to use the results of this model. Specifically I wanted to know the GWP of a new car. The way I used the model the results give increasing GWP for a vehicle as it's price increases. For example, a $40K car generated twice what a $20K car does. Intuitively this doesn't seem like this would hold up. Once you build a car, it doesn't seem that adding options and branding will add that much more in GWP. Can you explain where this is breaking down?

I initially tried the model because I wanted to know how much carbon was embedded in the manufacturing of the average car. On the web, you will see 3 to 5 ton CO2e tossed around and I was looking for other sources when I tried your model.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wendy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

Wendy:

Input-output models are inherently linear. Its a "feature" of them. Thus the results of modeling $40k are double that of $20k.

The other main feature of IO models is that they model "Average" production (there is no "Ford car" sector). Thus realistically if you wanted to model the impacts of an "Average car" then you should look for a data source (eg from the BEA) of what the "Average cost" (not price) of a car was in the US in 1997, and use that as an input into the 1997 Industry Benchmark model (we also have a purchase price model where you could input the average consumer price in 1997).

Regardless, your intuition is correct and it is probably not the case that the production impacts of similar cars are not a factor of 2 different. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:06 am 

wendy graber wrote:
Hi I've a question about how to use the results of this model. Specifically I wanted to know the GWP of a new car. The way I used the model the results give increasing GWP for a vehicle as it's price increases. For example, a $40K car generated twice what a $20K car does. Intuitively this doesn't seem like this would hold up. Once you build a car, it doesn't seem that adding options and branding will add that much more in GWP. Can you explain where this is breaking down?

I initially tried the model because I wanted to know how much carbon was embedded in the manufacturing of the average car. On the web, you will see 3 to 5 ton CO2e tossed around and I was looking for other sources when I tried your model.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Wendy

This is very nice post thanks for sharing this great post.