EIO-LCA Web Forum

A support and discussion resource for users of the website
It is currently Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:37 pm 

I was using the toxic release impact categories for a project I was working on a couple of weeks ago, but recently I have noticed that this section of the tool has changed. I initially was utilizing the data regarding respiratory organics/inorganics, carcinogens, aquatic acidification, etc., but now they are no longer available. Does anyone know why this was changed, and if there is any other way to access that information despite the new revisions? Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:40 am 
Site Admin

mmcox - the toxics continue to be in beta. here is the long answer for your question along with a timeline. I am posting it here as a record.

The toxics results you had been seeing for about the past year were a rolled-up summary of toxic release impact after (a) mapping all 1000-ish TRI substances by sector across their compartments and then (b) running them through the Impact2002 method.

Most users found that to be too little detail for their interests for two reasons:

1) it did not show the detail of toxic releases "by chemical and sector" as shown in the 1997 model.

2) The results which were run through Impact2002 was only for toxic chemicals and not for any of the other inputs like conventional air emissions, GHG emissions, etc. Thus people were using the "impact2002" results as if they were comprehensive - which they were not!

We had been planning to post a completely linked Impact2002 (and TRACI) set of results, which would use toxics, GHGs, etc all as the inputs.. by the end of summer.

I guess I can re-post the rolled-up toxics-only results if there is interest.. but am concerned at the potential for misunderstanding what is in the results... Anyone else have thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:10 am 

Amazing hscottm, i got impressed from your reply, you are doing very quick reply to helpers which is better for us.